Joy, happiness and jolliness are what we all seem to want – perhaps especially at this time of year. And since I'm writing this post on December 11, it seems apropos to revisit a recent YahooNews article titled, 11 Things That Make Workers Happy.
As you read through this list, compiled by BusinessNewsDaily staff writer, David Mielach, perhaps you can contemplate which of these can provide a focal point for your efforts, in January…
So what are 11 things that might make your workers happy?
- Provide an environment where promotion and advancement are encouraged and possible.
- Support their efforts by offering relevant and effective training.
- Offer even a small bonus, showing appreciation for their work.
- Create an environment where internal motivation is encouraged and facilitated.
- Make their work environment comfortable and pleasing, from communication to cushions.
- Embrace teleworking.
- Build a workspace that allows workers to focus on their responsibilities without excessive interruption.
- Strike the right work-life balance.
- Offer unique benefits packages that demonstrate caring and thoughtfulness.
- Help workers achieve and maintain health.
- Give workers a break for social media and other short breaks.
“Isn’t this all a little excessive?” I hear some of you ask. Not when you consider that happy workers tend to perform better, and leave less.
It may be hard to achieve all of these, all the time, but perhaps each month January through November, we can focus on just one of these. Then, in December each year, we can reflect on how to fine-tune these principles for the next year.
Sharon Daniels is CEO of AchieveGlobal in Tampa, Florida